Thursday, October 29, 2009

What I'm Reading: Prodigal Son


Yes, yes, I owe you a Gary Danko review post. It's coming soon, I swear. DO NOT DESPAIR.

In the meantime, let's play What's Foo Reading!

My mom recommended this book to me (which the librarian found funny for some reason), and of course, mom is usually right.

Prodigal Son is actually a novel by Dean Koontz, but he's teamed with a comic book artist to turn the story into a series of graphic novels. I usually don't consider myself cool enough for graphic novels, but picked this up at the Library by mistake.

The story is a modern-day "retelling" of the Victor Frankenstein story. It's interesting how Koontz sees Shelley's Frankenstein as essentially a utopian - someone who believes he can make a better world by cheating death. Koontz' Victor has survived to our time, and he still believes in a utopia - but the idea has gotten very twisted. I won't go into too much detail, but let's just say that Victor's gotten much better at his work since his original Monster.

Anyway, the art work is great, with buxom blonde ladies and strapping young men. Honestly, the whole thing is pretty bloody - I haven't decided if that's better in a graphic novel or not. Maybe it's worse when all the blood is in your head.

Anyway, my mom says the novel itself is worth reading, but I'm kind of hooked on the graphic novels now. If you read either, let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment