Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lunchtime at the Farmer's Market

Let me preface this post by explaining that I am currently obsessed - obsessed - with orange soups. To blame for my current issue is the San Francisco Soup Company, which has branches all over downtown San Francisco, including one within spitting distance of the door of my building.

They have amazing orange soups: roasted pumpkin, Caribbean sweet potato, curried butternut squash. Seriously awesome. I've been known to walk across town to get to the one store carrying roasted pumpkin when our store was out.

Yet for some reason, they won't serve them, even though it's clearly the season for them. Every day I check the specials board and every day there's chilled gazpacho, and no orange soup. Chilled gazpacho in October in San Francisco, guys? Really?

So, to hell with the San Francisco Soup Company. Stupid San Francisco Soup Company. I'll make it myself.

Fortunately, on my lunch break, I can walk straight down California street and wind up here:

The Ferry Building, which hosts a ginormous farmer's market every Saturday, and two smaller ones on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's very small on Thursdays, but I found one booth called Thomas Farm Organic that had everything I wanted. Namely...

I got butternut squash for my curried butternut squash soup, but these sweet dumpling squashes looked pretty. Must be murder to peel, though.

What in the world are jelly potatoes? I didn't know, but I needed them. Really, really needed them. I got a pound.

These Thomas guys thought of everything. I picked up some fancy dahlias to go.

There are worse ways to spend your lunch hour, especially on a day like today - that couldn't decide if it was going to be sunny or rainy, and finally, gloriously, decided on sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment