Tuesday, October 20, 2009

TWD: Sweet Potato Biscuits

This week was my first week baking for Tuesdays with Dorie, and this week's recipe was...
Sweet Potatah Biskits
(That's the proper, phonetic Southern spelling, of course. Dorie spells them "right".)

Funnily enough, I recently tested a recipe for Sweet Potato Biscuits for a well-known cooking mag, and as yummy as they were, I threatened to never make them again. Between all the steaming and mashing of sweet potatoes, and the sticky, sticky dough, they were a fracking pain in the butt.

Dorie gets around all that by using canned ... yes, canned ... sweet potatoes. Not only did I appreciate the workaround, but my mom uses canned sweet potatoes in her casserole at Thanksgiving, so there was a bit of nostalgia going on, too. And nostalgia in the kitchen is always a good thing, far as I'm concerned.

These came together quickly, partly because of this shortcut, and I got them in the oven without too much trouble. (The dough is still sticky, but that's somewhat to be expected with biskits.) After I cut out my first biscuits and patted it back into a rectangle a second and third time, I did end up with a tad of leftover dough, but I also ended up with the recipe-specified 18 biscuits, so that's good.

As you can see above, these are not tall biscuits and they're not flaky-style ones, either. Mine baked up fairly flat, though they were moist and tender. Some of the other TWD bakers were offended by this, but I thought they were a good country-style biscuit.

The taste is ... okay. Lots of sweet potato taste, and I actually did taste a lot of butter. (Though that could be because I eat a lot less fat now and my tastes have changed.) I added both cinnamon and nutmeg, but couldn't really taste them and thought that overall the biscuits tasted a little flat. I might up the spices if I made these again.

Finally, I froze half of them (Dorie says you can freeze them for up to 2 months), since I couldn't eat them all myself and they don't keep that well. I'll let you know how the frozen ones do once I bake them up...whenever that is.

Overall, a good recipe, especially because it can be made quickly and with pantry ingredients. I loved it as an accompaniment to fall soups. I would definitely make this again.

This week's recipe was chosen by Erin of Prudence Pennywise. You can get the recipe there, along with her own recipe for sweet potato rolls. Otherwise, it's on page 26 of Baking: From My Home to Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment