Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Hardest Part

First of all, going without animal products, gluten, sugar, alcohol and caffeine is not hard. Really, it's not.

The hardest part is how everyone reacts when you tell them what you're doing.

"Oh, that's terrible!"

"What do you eat?!"

"How are the figs and oats working out for you?"

Everyone acts like I've just been sentenced to prison, or worse. I get the gamut from shock to pity to the sideways glances you give the crazy guy on the street with balloons taped to his hat. (Seriously. Saw him today.)

And the truth is, it's really not that bad. In fact, it's pretty good. I am actually loving the food I'm eating, and I eat a lot. Even though the total calorie count is still between 1300-1500 a day, I hardly feel deprived. Take today for instance:

Breakfast - Cup of steel-cut oatmeal with soy milk and fresh blueberries
Lunch - Large spinach and spring green salad with veggies, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, tofu squares, olive oil and balsamic vinegar; mixed fruit for dessert (watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, grapes)
Dinner - Potato-leek soup with cashews

I also had a banana and I could have had a coconut bar (naturally gluten free and vegan!), but I was just too full.

See? I'm hardly deserving of sympathy.

And the truth is, I feel better than I have in years. I look better than I have in years. And judging by the way my clothes fit, I wouldn't be surprised to find out I've already lost 10-12 pounds.

So, don't feel sorry for me. Really. I'm okay. In fact, I'm pretty darn good.

4 comments:

  1. That rocks! I'm truly inspired.
    ....and where did you eat lunch? That salad sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wells Fargo cafe has a surprisingly delicious salad bar. Nom!

    Yay foo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Wells Fargo cafe! Great salad bar actually - very fresh and changes with the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY understand! When ever D and I did any cleanses, all our co-workers acted like we were joining a cult or something. Pity, shock, fear. Oh yah. I remember.

    ReplyDelete